Tuesday 31 July 2012

Day 16 (Aspen to Denver)

I woke up with a semi wet tent. Apparently I forgot to close the outer zipper which keeps the outer shell tight so it doesn't touch the inner part. We they touched and it dripped on my sleeping bag. I couldn't figure out why my feet felt cold until I woke up in the light. Luckily the sun was out and it was fairly warm so iI could dry out my tent. As usual Mike got up pretty late so my tent was fully dry/clean/packed by the time he got up.

We left the camp site and headed into aspen. As we pulled up to McDonald's we thought someone got shot or something but it turns out there was a bear in a tree and the cops were stopping everyone from getting too close. We left the McDonald's on our way to pikes peak. The roads were pretty narrow but we managed to get to pike Forrest in about half the estimated time. Take that Google maps!

We pulled up to the pikes toll booth and the lady informed us basically that we didn't want to go up as there was going to be rain in about 2 hours. I knew it wasn't going to take that long to get up and down so we paid the lady our $12 each and headed up the hill. The road was pretty covered in junk as they had a serious rain storm the day before so I didn't get to make a wicked awesome video like I wanted but the peak was really nice. There was a gift shop and snack bar there so I got myself a pretzel and snapped some pictures. The air is so thin up there that both me and mike felt really light headed. We sat down for a bit and then rode back down the mountain where we were greeted by a rain storm. We threw on our rain gear and rode through. It was only about 20 minutes and then another 2-3 minutes down the road. So far we are winning with the rain.

We rode into Denver and found a $50 room at the super 8. I felt my chain skip on the front sprocket when I tried to pass someone today so I walked over to the parts place across the street. They had a free tool rental program so I got a 30mm socket and torque wrench and adjusted my chain. After some lube it seems good as new. We are FINALLY going to see batman. Figures the place we get the time will be the place a bunch of people got shot seeing the same movie we are going to see. Wouldn't it be crazy if the cause of our death was not the 12,000km motorcycle trip that everyone thought was so dangerous but instead was simply going to see a movie?

Here's to hoping we don't die.



No comments:

Post a Comment